Matt has nearly twenty years experience in manual therapies and is registered as an osteopath in Australia and New Zealand and is a certified and licensed massage therapist in Hawaii…interesting!
In addition to his clinical work, Matt advises training organisations and professional associations on education and research issues. His research interests focus on the effects of manual therapy, movement, diet, sleep, and psycho-social factors on the musculoskeletal system.
Matt seeks to translate the research literature in these domains into his professional and personal practice in accordance with ancestral health principles.
You can hear more from Matt at the AHSNZ International Symposium in October (see link at the end of this page for details!)
We Chat About:
- Massage qualifications in Hawaii?
- Matt’s Primal Shift, the gradual journey
- Why did Matt decide to become an osteopath?
- What does an osteopath do?
- Three broad themes of osteopathy: Visceral, Cranial, and Structural
- Resistance training and recovery from desk sitting
- How lifestyle factors impact on the musculoskeletal system
- The vicious cycle of inflammation, pain and sleep deprivation
- Pain perception and the nervous system
- Everyone has imperfect bodies (structurally)
- Manual therapy for managing stress and pain
- How we hold emotions in our bodies (the ‘three fists of tension’)
- The importance of the psoas muscle
- Sitting properly to protect your back and pelvis (if you have to sit!)
- Matt’s thoughts on treadmill desks
- What to do if you don’t have a standing desk at work
- Power postures for managing stress
- How to get more movement into our day
- Matt’s daily movement routine and passion for sports
- How does Matt rest and recover?
- Improving athletic performance
- Are humans designed to run?
- How did Matt get involved in AHSNZ
- What will Matt be speaking about at the AHSNZ Symposium in October?
- What’s Matt reading at the moment?
- Matt’s Clinic Website
- ‘The Osteoblast’
- Ancestral Health Society of NZ
- The Paleo Solution: Robb Wolf
- It Starts with Food
- Dr Andrew Weil
- Christopher McDougall ‘Born To Run’
- Phillip Beach
- Muscles and Meridians
- Archetypal Postures & the Erectorcises Online Workshop
- TED Talk – Amy Cuddy ” Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are”
- Ecology Skincare