In this episode, we chat to Rebecca Coombes from the Healthy Gut about gut health and SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). SIBO is something that Jo and Crystal both had some personal experience with, and it’s a condition that’s not commonly discussed but probably more common than people realise.
Rebecca is an author, entrepreneur and passionate foodie. She turned her health around after a lifetime of chronic illness and founded The Healthy Gut, where people can learn about gut health and the impact it has on our general health and happiness. Rebecca is also the author of the world’s first cookbooks and cooking show for people with SIBO!
We chat with Rebecca about:
- How did Rebecca make her primal shift?
- Why did Rebecca turn her passion into her profession?
- What is SIBO?
- SIBO symptoms
- How is SIBO diagnosed?
- The link between SIBO and ‘leaky gut’
- Main causes of SIBO
- The challenges of treating SIBO
- The psychological impact of living with SIBO
- Making food ‘sexy’ again on a SIBO diet
- The importance of stress management when treating SIBO
- How to talk to friends and family about living with SIBO
- Helpful resources
- SIBO recovery timeframe
- Treating SIBO: botanical herbs versus antibiotics
- The link between endometriosis and SIBO
- The link between SIBO and other chronic bowel conditions (Crohn’s Disease, Ulcerative Colitis)
- Upcoming SIBO event in Australia for practitioners