Both Jo and I have some personal experience dealing with anxiety and today we have back with us our favourite guest, naturopath and counsellor Jad from Jad Patrick Naturopathy.
Jad is our go-to for all things interesting. From an early age he’s been intensely interested in health and nutrition and he believes a whole foods based diet, combined with exercise, stress management and healthy relationships is the key to preventing many of today’s chronic health issues.
So, today we’re going to be diving into some primal approaches to managing depression and anxiety naturally with Jad.
We chat with Jad about:
- Why he personally has an interest in helping people with depression and anxiety
- What the similarities and differences are between depression and anxiety
- What they are and how they are generally treated
- How natural treatments and conventional treatments work together
- How inflammation affects mental health
- How common anti-depressants work
- How our genetics may affect mental health
- Nature vs Nurture
- How our microbiome can affect mental health
- How a leaky gut and our diet can affect mental health
- Which nutrients are helpful and whether to get them from food or supplements
- How other lifestyle factors that can affect our mental health like sunlight, Vitamin D, sleep, having purpose, hobbies and interests, social factors and exercise
- Options for managing depression and anxiety naturally
- Mindfulness rituals like drinking tea
- How histamine and food intolerances can feed into feelings of anxiety
- Some quick wins that can make a real difference for depression and anxiety
- Jad Patrick Naturopathy on Facebook
- Prahran Health Foods: The Orchard Practitioners
- Ecology Skincare