The Primal Shifters recently had the opportunity to chat with Diane Sanfilippo from Balanced Bites about detoxing from sugar and managing modern stressors, in the wake of the launch of her new book, The 21 Day Sugar Detox.
Diane Sanfilippo is a Certified Nutrition Consultant, with a particular interest in blood sugar regulation and digestive health, so she’s always got a fridge, full of weird smelling jars of fermented foods and kombucha.
Diane writes for her popular health blog Balanced Bites from the comfort of her walking treadmill desk and teaches nutrition seminars all over the US. She is one half of the straight talking, look-out-sally-fallon-arse-kicking duo on The Balanced Bites Podcast which is part chat show, part Q&A, where the ladies are keeping it all real.
Diane prides herself on not being down with pop culture, so that gives this superwoman the time she needs to help hundreds of thousands of individuals, transform their lives by changing their diet and their relationship with food, and to embrace a lifestyle that better serves themselves, their families and their environment.
We chat with Diane about:
- How she came to make her initial shift to the primal way of life
- ‘Balancing’ her diverse cultural background
- Taking responsibility for what you eat
- How Diane is managing the emotional and mental stress surrounding a high pressure book launch and her self-care measures
- Food intolerances and allergies
- Common hormonal issues faced by women and Diane’s suggestions for balancing hormones by reducing sugar intake and managing stressors (including under-eating or calorie restriction)
- Diane’s thoughts on the mainstream media’s position on sugar as being “ok in moderation”
- When making dietary changes, the pros and cons of ‘slow and steady’ versus changing everything all at once
- Diane’s tips for which 3 things to change first, which will get the biggest results if you’re taking it one thing at a time
- How Diane defines sugar for the purposes of her 21 Day Sugar Detox (21DSD) and if there is any place for natural sweeteners in the 21DSD
- Diane explains the 3 different levels of the 21DSD and her provisions for pescatarian’s and people who are following an autoimmune protocol or sensitive to FODMAP foods
- Diane’s thoughts on body image issues, especially with regards to observations about female figureheads in the Paleo community, embracing diversity, “keeping your eyes on your own plate” (or body) and weight loss for aesthetics
Links discussed in this episode:
- Diane’s website: Balanced Bites
- The Balanced Bites Podcast
- The Balanced Bites Podcast Episode about: The 21 Day Sugar Detox