We certainly made the most of our time with Jad and were blown away by the extent of his knowledge about these topics.
This is a kick-ass episode, jam packed with great information and will help anyone who is dealing with food sensitivities to demystify the issues.
This episode is Part 1 of 2 with Jad.
(Yes, we talked so much we had to record 2 episodes!)
The 2nd episode will be released in late November.
About Jad Patrick:
Jad gained his Bachelor of Health Science Degree in Naturopathy from the Southern School of Natural Therapies in 2005, and is currently completing a Post Grad in Counselling at the Australian College of Applied Psychology.
Jad intends for his counselling qualification to compliment his current work in empowering people to look after their own health and to enable them to lead more rich and meaningful lives.
From an early age Jad has been passionate about nutrition and health. He believes a whole foods based diet, combined with exercise, stress management and healthy relationships is the key to preventing many of today’s chronic health issues.
Having a keen interest in human evolution, Jad has always been fascinated by how our historical environment and lifestyle has shaped our current nutrition and fitness needs.
Jad considers The Paleo/Primal approach as a valuable template for our understanding of healthy eating when balanced with individual needs.
You can find Jad at Prahran Health Foods at 201 Commercial Road South Yarra
(03 9827 5983) where he provides clinical consultations and advice to customers within the store.
We chat with Jad about:
- Jad’s upbringing, his personal experience with food sensitivities and the early research he conducted on his goldfish
- Jad’s journey into naturopathy
- The role of a naturopath and why science should underpin naturopathic practice
- The difference between an allergy and an intolerance
- How to correctly diagnose and treat allergies / sensitivities
- Common causes for sensitivities and the link with stress
- The way you eat vs. what you eat
- Leaky Gut
- The role of the liver in allergies
- Common allergies and intolerances
- Why a paleo diet and exacerbate some food issues and successfully treat others
- IBS and ‘poo’
The information provided in this podcast is for educational purposes only. For therapeutic or medical advice please seek an appropriately qualified health practitioner.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the TPS podcast on iTunes so you can automatically get the next instalment of this interview!
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Chris Kresser’s Revolution Health Radio: Interview with Researcher Alessio Fasano on Gluten, Autoimmunity and Leaky Gut
- Shepherd Works: Info on Low FODMAP Diet
- The study Jad mentioned that compared a gluten free diet with a low FODMAP DIET
- A placebo controlled study on gluten in non celiac disease gluten sensitivity, in this one they found symptoms worsened but it did not account for FODMAPS
- Placebo controlled studies demonstrating non coeliac gluten sensitivity, here and here
- Low FODMAP iPhone App
- Food Intolerances iPhone App (includes salicylates and histamine)